During this time of uncertainty, it’s easy to get caught up in the panic and feel stressed. According to the CDC, there is no evidence that COVID-19 can be spread to humans through the use of pools and hot tubs if properly sanitized. Proper operation, maintenance, and disinfection of hot tubs and swim spas should remove or inactivate the virus that causes COVID-19.
We hope that our hot tubs can offer you a safe haven and a way to disconnect and destress. That said, given the call to self-isolate, quarantine, and practice social distancing, we understand that you may not be able to access sanitization products that you need for a safe and healthy home spa. To make sure that your spa water has the proper sanitation levels for safe use, follow these steps:
Before you get into your spa: Test the spa water for proper pH and sanitation levels. Adjust accordingly to the proper levels. When adding chemicals, always spread them across the surface of the water while the pumps are running. Wait 15 minutes before getting in. Double-check the chemical levels before getting in. Do not enter the hot tub if the chlorine levels are outside of the safe, recommended ranges. The only approved sanitizer is bromine or chlorine.
When you are finished using your hot tub or swim spa: Test the water again and adjust the chemical levels if needed.
Always: Follow the water guidelines in your owner’s manual. The concentration of active ingredients in spa chemicals varies by manufacturer, so always consult chemical manufacturer’s instructions. If you do not have sanitizer, you should not use your hot tub — it is not advised without adequate sanitizer levels and should be checked every 2-3 days.)
Our friends at Master Spas have also offered some helpful advice on ways to navigate this difficult time:
- Create a routine. Start your morning with a cup of coffee and well-balanced breakfast and then spend 20 minutes soaking in the warm water. Your blood pressure will decrease, along with your stress and anxiety.
- Turn off notifications. The news about the virus is everywhere, and it can be hard to turn away from it. Set your phone to silent and take a deep breath. Leave it on the counter when you soak in the hot tub or exercise in your swim spa.
- Spend time with family. School closures and work-from-home policies can mean the entire family is working in close quarters. Take a mental break from reports and get some fresh air. Stream a fun playlist through the Fusion Air speakers or play some hot tub games.
- Tame the tension. You might feel the stress creeping up right to your shoulders. Take some time for much needed self care and treat yourself to a spa massage — in your Master Spas hot tub or swim spa.
- Sleep easier. It might be hard to turn off your mind and relax enough to get a good night’s rest. Using a hot tub for 20 minutes at the end of the day has been shown to help you fall asleep more quickly and improve sleep quality.
Currently, Niagara Hot Tubs remains open for business. We are taking all necessary precautions in our showroom and our team is here to advise on any concerns you may have about your hot tub. In the meantime, we hope our hot tubs can be a sanctuary for you to unwind and relax.